One of the biggest confusion in an engineer mind is finding the difference between a software engineer vs software developer or software engineering or software development. Some people consider both software engineering and software development same while some consider it different.
Let’s discuss with some of the facts on the basis on facts and responsibilities and come up with a conclusion and let’s discuss the key difference between both the terms software engineer and software developer.
What is Software Engineering?
A software engineer must be able to use scientific knowledge and engineering science to build, design, test and maintain new systems or come up with a solution for real-world problems with his/her problem-solving skills.
Consider a software engineer as a head chef who has to manage different hotels and ensure that the quality of the food remains the same and good quality food will be served.
What is Software Development?
A Software developer uses their creativity, patterns, and practices to build things and focus on the development of the product. Software developers do not have to think about the solution to the problem of the architecture and find the solution of the products.
Software developers work with the team members, the product managers, senior managers, customer representatives and graphic designers.
Read Also: How to start competitive programming
Key Difference between Software engineer vs Software Developer
Software Engineer is a person who applies his engineering skills and engineering sciences and come up with an effective solution for the development, designing, testing and maintenance of the product. A Software developer is a person who works on the development of the product
Software engineer also works with the hardware parts of the system and Software developer writes the whole code for the program.
Software engineering is team activity while Software Development is a solitary activity.
Software engineers come up with a solution that solves the problem for large customers rather than a specific problem. Software Developer develops the project.
Software Engineer Skills
- A Software engineer is capable of managing complex structures of IT industry.
- Should have excellent analytical skills to help other customers and company
- Should play an active role as a leader and should be able to manage and supervise the technical plans to the team
- Should be able to manage IT architecture and databases
- Modify existing software to fix the issues and bugs
Software Developer Skills
- Excellent analytical skills and development skills
- Must be familiar with different languages like Java, C#, C++, Python
- Experience in open-source contribution like GitHub
- Work with customer representatives and other team members
- Understand the logic before the development of the product
At last, we can say that a software developer can mainly work with the customers and the development of the project. A developer completes the project from start to finish.
While we can that a software engineer mainly works with the architecture and takes the responsibility to solve real-world problems with a broad perspective.
Hope you loved our article on Software engineer vs Software developer. If you enjoyed the article tell us in the comment.